Wednesday, September 1, 2010

It's our free time now, and even though I should be reading my daily bible chapters, we've finally gotten the internet back and, as I was starting to experience withdrawal symptoms after nearly twenty four hours without it, I guess it takes priority. Whoops. I'm a bad... missionary in training.  The days here have started going by so much more quickly, I remember the first few days seemed like they would never end and I was so terribly homesick and every little thing bothered me so much, but now, it's just an cycle of lectures, work duty, and posho. Lots and lots of posho. The posho was actually one of the most unpleasant surprises here. The cold showers and lack of toilets I had expected, the work and being always dirty as well, but I guess I never really gave much thought to what the food would be. The first time that they served us posho, which is basically just a slightly mushy lump of flour, I thought they were mashed potatos, and was so excited for proper American food in Africa. But no. I can't explain, what it's like to eat posho, but I would put it high on my list of reasons to not come back to Africa. Lucy and I did buy some soy sauce at the American Supermarket (which is in no way American, or a supermarket), and that has greatly improved the twice-daily posho challenge, but only slightly. It is almost the weekend, though, which means a full two days of being in town and eating omelets and cheeseburgers. So much for becoming more cultural. Posho aside, though, I do love this place so much. Everything around me is alive, and I've honestly never been more in-touch with my humanity as I am here. There are so few buildings where we're staying, and so much wildlife. In the morning, when I wake up for quiet time, on one side I can see beautiful mountains, and on the other side, a perfect view of the Nile. It's so peaceful, I am starting to get a nagging feeling that, discomforts aside, when it comes time to leave, I won't be ready.  

No comments:

Post a Comment