Friday, September 10, 2010

It's Friday night, and the end of my third week here in Africa, which I thought was incredibly significant until I realized that I still have a good seventeen weeks left. It's so weird, just to look at the outward changes that have taken place over the last few weeks. Lucy and I often complain that there is nothing about us now that in any way resembles who we were back home, and it's really true. I feel like I've been completely stripped of all the little habits and routines that have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. For instance, where I used to shower obsessively, sometimes twice a day, I now get by two or three days without a shower, just excessive deodorant and loads of bobby pins. It's not that we don't have time to shower, it's just that, when faced with a freezing, filthy shower room, being dirty seems like a far better alternative. Another thing, I used to take pride in my love for healthy eating, and general living. This summer, I developed such positive habits, frequent working out, lots of vegetables and just little things like that. Now, I eat my feelings, and spend most of my free time sitting around. I guess I'm just a slow adjuster, maybe in a month or so I'll be running to Lake Victoria and back every morning, as I had planned on doing before I came here and realized just how early six o'clock actually was. But, changes and discomforts aside, I love my life here. I realize it more and more every day. Now that the culture shock is (mostly) over, I can appreciate the little things that annoyed me before, and I'm getting to learn a whole new way of life. For instance, last night, I was introduced to sugar cane when I looked over and saw Becky, the Ugandan girl in the bed next to me, eating what looked like a bit of a tree. It was hysterical and slightly alarming, but she let me try some, and after I choked it down (you're apparently NOT supposed to swallow that stuff), I actually really enjoyed it. So, there. I'm one step closer to being a true African, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment