Sunday, September 5, 2010



The African sky, on a "cloudy" night. It looks like I'm just really bad at holding my camera still - false. I'm actually just really bad at being patient. I was sitting outside, meaning to do a star trail picture (where you hold the camera and capture the motion of the earth by the trails of light the stars make) but I got bored, and also distracted when about ten men gathered around me because they were worried that I was sick or sad or something since I was crouching over the ground clutching my camera to try to keep it still. 
But, even though I'm a bit of a failure at photographs that require patience, I had to post this one up here, because the time I got to spend looking at the sky last night was a real turning point for me, I absolutely fell in love with this country. There's a peace here that I've never known before, I know that a large part of that is from God and all that I am learning about His nature and His love, but part of it is just this land and its beauty. I am now convinced that there is not an inch of this country that is not completely and totally filled with life. Animals, plants, bugs, people, even the water is so full of life. I have never felt so at peace with the world around me, and subsequently with myself. This morning, for the first time in the two weeks that I've been here, I woke up (at six am, to African chants of praise) and thought about how hard it would be to leave, once it came time to do so.

3 comments:

  1. I am living vicariously through your blog posting.
    Peace, like you are experiencing now, is such an amazing gift.
    I am so happy for you, and all that you are learning.
    I love you so much, Lou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I chopped off all my hair. We are twins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindley I miss you terribly and love you so much, I wish I could've gone with you and I hope we can both go back to Afrika and I can experience everything you are describing

    ReplyDelete