Monday, August 30, 2010

Week one of African living down. Only about a million more to go. I'm still feeling like I'd much rather be home, in the comfort of the things that I grew up expecting would always be there, but there is also a lot to be said for the way of life here. It's so hard, coming into it from the perspective of a Westerner. Even the little things make such a huge difference in the way that people live. For instance, I was raised to share, but only to a certain extent. There are always things that it's just not proper to share, like towels and personal items. But in the African culture, if you have something, no matter what it is, it belongs to everyone. This made the adjustment so difficult, and the first few days I would frequently walk into the room to find people using any and all of my things. But now, a week later, I think we've managed to reach a middle ground here in our room. Out of the six of us, only two are from Uganda, and I think they've come to understand that, while it's in their culture to be completely open with all of your possessions, it is not in ours. They've gotten better about asking before using, and we've gotten better about sharing. In these next few months, I feel like everything will be a little bit of a compromise. But there's a lot to be gained from that, so I'm entering into it with an open mind.
It's time for lectures, and then work duty. More later.

1 comment:

  1. Lindley, Thanks so much for posting the pictures. You have truly captured what I have seen. You have a great talent! I hope things are going well there and you are staying healthy and optimistic. The experiences you have chosen for yourself will build your character and make you stronger. Hang in there! It is worth it! Christine Baker

    ReplyDelete