Friday, November 26, 2010

I've managed to find a few minutes of internet in the middle of Zanzibar, however, the keys stick terribly, there is no spellcheck, and I've got fifteen minutes left, so I'm going to make this incredibly brief.

Outreach is going really well so far, we've been here for a little over a week and we've got a week left on the island before we head off to mainland Tanzania, a place called (and I know I'm not spelling this right) Dar Es Saalam. It's really hard here, pretty much the whole island is Muslim and so there's an incredible resistance to what we're here for, but today really felt like a breakthrough, at least for me. We broke off into small teams, and I was with one of my friends from Uganda so that they could translate English/Swahili for me, and we stood on the corner of a road and just talked to whoever would listen. It was hard at first, I feel so intrusive trying to sit people down and tell them what I believe and why they should believe it also, but it got easier as I gave it to God, and in the end of the two hours, I had gotten to preach to thirteen-some Muslims, and one of them even ended up getting saved! It was an incredible experience, and exactly the encouragement I needed at the moment.

Being here, here as in Zanzibar, but also just in the outreach environment, is really challenging everything I've ever known or experienced, but it's also taken me on a whole new level of trusting in God and of loving Jesus. Because I've left everyone in my life that I care deeply about to be here, I've had to completely turn to Jesus for everything, to be there for me and to love me through it all, and it's been amazing. I want to go so much more in-depth into all of this, but my time is incredibly limited.

As for what we're actually doing here, it's twelve of us, leaders included, staying in a few rooms from the house of a Muzungu who occasionally comes to the island to work with a church, which is located right next door. Er, well, currently in a circus tent type deal, but when they get a real building they will be right next door. We're doing a lot of ministering with the church, preaching on Sunday services as well as Friday and Wednesday ones, and we're working together with the leaders of the church for our ministery around the island. We've been mainly focusing on door-to-door, as that seems the most effective way to reach individuals here, but next week we should be heading into the market places to do some open-air type things. We're incredibly limited in what we can do here, because the island is almost all Muslim and they tend to burn churches that get too out of hand, but with God all things are possible, so there is no doubt in my mind that great things will come from us being here.

I'll post more about the island, the ministry, and everything else when I can, and expect a lot of pictures as soon as I get back to Uganda and my laptop.

Love and blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment